- How is this novel a bildungsroman? (a novel about how a youthful character comes to maturity.
- How is this novel about family? Specifically, how does it show that your family is often the people who have your back rather than those who share your blood.
- How does McCandless make the claim that nature is a life affirming balm for the poisonous and dehumanizing culture we live in?
- Is Chris McCandless worthy of admiration? Was what happened an accident?
- How is Shipbreaker a novel about free will versus determinism. Is it your actions or your circumstance that determine your successes or failures?
You may bring an outline to the test. I recommend the following outline format: